YMCA Youth Sports Documentary


Actual Documentary: 




Evidence of Inspiration: 




   Reflection: My initial idea when we were assigned this documentary immediately oriented towards youth sports, especially considering how I have been a 5 and 6 youth sports coach for 3 seasons (about 8 months total of coaching). Once I had my mind fully set on the idea of youth sports, I reached out to my local YMCA of Boca Raton, where I volunteered, and was able to get interviews with the President and CEO Jason Hagensick, Executive Director of the Peter Blum YMCA of Boca Raton Brian Hunt, and YMCA board members and coaches Matt Linick and Matthew Nathanson. After confirming their support of the documentary and gaining their approval of being filmed, I got Gabby Cardozo and Griffin Wotherspoon to help me while I coached my and to provide a second camera for B-Roll. Over the course of around 4 hours on a single Saturday, we filmed everything that I had hoped to achieve. 

   Post-Production was a pain. My production was delayed due to storage issues that ultimately forced me to purchase and wait for a 4TB hard drive to ship out to me. Once received, I spent 9.5 hours in one continuous day editing my film, mixing B-Roll with audio clips and using transitions to make my 7 minute and 47 second documentary as good as I could before the Thursday hard-deadline you set me. I feel my shots and use of B-Roll was effective in maintaining the attention of my audience as well as portraying the deeper context of the clips, but ultimately how well it works is up to the viewer. Whilst my interviews had the same camera angle throughout, I like how I have a mix of close-ups of the children playing AND a farther "observer" view of Coach Nathanson and I coaching from both in the game and in the huddle. I had both of my parents watch multiple differently edited and they ultimately both chose this order of clips (Link above). As far as what I would change, It is simply up to the feedback I will receive. I will change whatever the audience/consumer wants me to to make it a more watchable and fun movie in general. 

Comments